Friday, June 20, 2008

FOO YUAR!!!

In Chinese restaurants, it is customary to scream at the top of your lungs "Fu wu yuan" (服务员)which literally means "server" if you want anything from the menu to the bill and everything in between. The northerners have a bit of an "R" sound to their speech, so restaurants normally have a charming ambient noise of something that sounds like "foo yuar" which really adds that special something to a dining experience. Not to stop there, I was sitting at a restaurant a few weeks ago and a guy actually snorted back a glob of snot and hocked a huge luggie on the floor of the restaurant, which he later ashed on with is cigarette. I looked around the restaurant to gauge peoples' reactions to discover that I was the only one who thought it may have been a bit out of place. By the way, did I mention that I'm organizing an etiquette dinner for the office staff here as a professional development opportunity?

No comments: