Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tada! It's TEDA.

I went with Natalie, the office's new strategic consultant, to the Tianjin Economic-Technological Development Area (TEDA) today in search of some information about investment opportunities. Natalie let Mr. Hu (the driver) know that she was in a bit of a hurry, so in no time flat did the Buick minivan we were in morph into a Porsche. A couple of times I glanced at the speedometer and I saw 130kph (80mph), but this was no 80mph I had ever encountered before. Chinese drivers are nuts! I don't know why they even bother painting stripes on the road. We weaved in between cars and semis, just inches away from colliding and charged by traffic on the shoulder of the road. It felt like an amusement park ride without the benefit of the amusement. Natalie has lived all over the world and she says nowhere else has she sat in such fear of her life than on Chinese roads, but I was still the only one in the car wearing my seat belt.

No comments: